Are you all about recycling? Do you save your newspapers and plastic bottles and send them to the recycler? Do you drop off your old clothes to thrift stores? Have you ever thought about what happens to your car at the end of its useful life?
The automobile recycling industry has been thriving for over a seventy-five years. Though it may not seem like a tree hugger’s dream, auto recycling helps our planet. The parts in your car today will come in handy when it comes to making your children’s cars in the future. Now, you may be thinking, “But technology will be so advanced by the time my two year-old is driving.” That is true, but automobile recycling will proceed along with it.
Did you know?
1. Automobiles are the most recycled product in the world. Every year, over 25 million tons of the things we recycle are from autos. Metal, windshield glass, aluminum, individual parts, and tires (to name a few) are among the most prevalent recycled materials and assets these days.
2. 86% of your automobile can be reused after market. That means things like the engine coolant, motor oil, or the battery. These things are important, because it means less natural resources are used to make new vehicles. Approximately 90% of the aluminum in an automobile can be reused or recycled to make new cars.
3. Each year, Americans recover 25 million tons of auto parts. Professional auto salvage operations tear apart the engine and transmission to reclaim useable parts. This is especially important for people who need a rare component that is not in production any more. And rebuilt parts are less expensive than new parts
4. Every year, the amount of recycled car parts in the United States is sufficient enough to produce roughly 13,000 new vehicles.
5. In addition to more autos, the aluminum we recycle can be reused to make airplane parts, bicycles, countertops, soda cans, tile, and some jewelry. Car tires are used to make asphalt, flooring, and footwear. Glass beads, jewelry, bottles, and dishes are made from windshields, as well as tile flooring, countertops, and porcelain.
Environmentally responsible auto owners want to prolong the life of their automobile as long as possible. Here at Miles Auto Service in Sewell, that’s exactly what we do by providing expert car repair and maintenance services. Call (856) 441-3894 to talk to a service technician.
Comedian Jeff Foxworthy points out that if you mow your lawn and discover an old car, you might be a redneck. But see if you can get some quality parts out of it.